Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Po-Ta-Toes?

Last night I was craving something warm and hearty...soup always hits the spot when I am feeling that way. I love cream based soups, and one of the best parts of a low-carb diet is that I can indulge a little with the fats. One of my favorite regular soups is a Baked Potato Soup...Potatoes, Bacon, Cheese...what's not to love? But without potatoes, what is a girl to use? With a quick google search, I turned up this recipe, which recommended the low-carbers best friend, cauliflower! I made some modifications to make the soup more to my liking. I definitely need to take pictures...but I promise, it was yummy and really filling! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
chopped onion...like a handful amounts worth
32 oz chicken broth
6 slices crispy bacon
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, green section only (you can also use chives)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter


Directions:

Steam cauliflower until tender, set aside
In large pot, saute onions with a little olive oil until soft.
Add chicken broth and cauliflower and bring to a simmer until cauliflower is very soft.
Using a immersion hand blender, blend the soup until it reaches your desired consistency
(I liked mine pretty much blended)
Add cheese, cream, bacon, and green onions, stir until cheese is melted.
Add butter, stir until melted.
Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment