Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cake Baby

With most diets, you have to cut out all the fun stuff like cakes and cookies and eat boring things like carrots for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!11!  I think the hardest thing for me is that I am trying to cut most wheat products out of my diet for good...and that means no flour. There are some good replacements, but it ain't the same!
:::Cue singing angels:::
Well, maybe that's a little dramatic, but, here is a yummy little secret recipe I found on one of my favorite treasure troves of low-carb recipes sites (genaw.com). 3-minute chocolate cake. No turning on the oven, no getting out the mixer...it simple, it's tasty, and it will cure that craving you are having. It's low carb because you make it with almond flour, pretty low calorie because you make it with splenda or whatever other non-sugar sweetener you prefer, and it's fast cause you cook it in the microwave. Here is the link to the original recipe. The first time I made it, I did just what it said, and I thought it was way too sweet. Second go around, we cut the splenda back by a tablespoon, only adding in 2 tablespoons...still too sweet for my liking. Maybe next time we will go with one.

But here is another fun and great way to make this recipe work for a busy person...while I was making the last cake at night, I had a little baggie next to it that I pre-made a cake in (only adding one tablespoon of splenda in this one). I left out the chocolate, because I was going to it for breakfast and I am not a fan of chocolate for breakfast (I know, I am a weirdo). I added all the dry ingredients in one baggie, and put an egg and the butter in another.
 The next morning, much to my dismay, I found that my husband had eaten all my blueberries. I was thinking this would be like a freshly baked blueberry muffin...but alas...the best laid plans often get spoiled. So, I grabbed a banana. Not my favorite fruit, but it was something. I put my two baggies in my glass measuring cup and off I went to work. At my work desk, I keep a set of measuring cups and spoons...don't ask why, I'm not really sure, but if you don't, you might also want to grab your tablespoon.
At work, I cooked up my cake, sliced up my banana, and out came this delightful little breakfast.

It's warm, it's moist, and it was fast. It tastes great with my coffee, and it's still a touch sweet, but much better...I think 1 tablespoon of splenda does it for me.
This is probably not the best breakfast ever (remember that the recipe is for 2 servings!) but it is nice to change it up from the boring hard-boiled egg every now and then...and everyone deserves a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment