Monday, September 12, 2011

Sometimes you really need junk food

There is a reason I need to lose weight...I love food, and the worse it is for you, the more I seem to like it. I have finally decided to kick myself in the butt and stop this gut expansion before it gets out of hand. Part of that change of mindset needs to be the idea that being thinner and healthier will feel better in the long run than that instant gratification you get when you eat something really tasty. But you know what, all the positive platitudes in the world can't curb a craving sometimes, so I went on the hunt for a better option, and I came up with some Mozzarella Sticks. Low carb, greasy, and cheesy...what more can you ask for?

I pretty much did what the above blog post told me to. I started out with some string cheese. I cut them in half for easier handling in the frying stage.
Next up, a simple egg bath. I like to add a splash of milk or cream to my egg, it seems to help it stick a little better.

My breading consisted of ground up pork rinds (I really need a food processor!), Parmesan cheese, and some almond flour. I also threw in some dried oregano, salt, and garlic powder.

After dipping the cut up cheese in the egg bath, I tossed them into the bag of breading. A little shake and bake action...and voila! Cheese sticks. At this point, I put these bad johnny's in the freezer...I guess it helps in the frying process with the cheese. I don't know, but I had an episode of 24 going, so a 30 minute break was in order.

Since I am not a total piglet, I only fried up 8 of these guys, the rest of them are safely awaiting their day of deliciousness in the freezer...see, you can be like a normal person! I have some frozen food!

After a quick dip in some canola oil (which I think there are probably better options, but I have a big ol' jug of it to use, so I'm using what I got) these little suckers are gooey, brown, and ready to be dipped in some homemade marinara sauce. You could use the jar stuff, but if you look at the labels, you will see how much extra crap they put in there...so I have just made up a batch of my own marinara sauce, and keep it in a jar in the fridge.

This certainly isn't an everyday type of meal, I try to keep the deep frying down to a minimum, but when the craving hits, this is a great option to turn to for some grub.

No comments:

Post a Comment